Sunday, April 5, 2020

Discovering ... Féroces

I really know very little about French band Féroces, and I realise I’m probably a bit late arriving at the party, but I’m totally loving the band’s mid-2019 EP, Paul, right now. At home. In “lockdown”, feeling dark and a little disconnected from the world we used to know.

If Paul seems like an odd title for an EP, being a singular name without much context for any blind newbie, then it’s worth noting that four of the band’s five earlier releases on the Bandcamp platform (dating back to 2016) are all similarly titled … see Juliette, Donna, Victor, and Josephine.


I’ve yet to check out any of those older releases but if the dramatic dark angsty pop music I’ve found on Paul is any sort of reliable guide, it won’t be too long before I revisit that online goldmine to excavate further hidden gems from the band’s archives.

I was first introduced to Féroces through Fabrizio Lusso’s wonderful White Light//White Heat website (here) when a terrific cover of Chris Isaak’s ‘Wicked Game’ featured on one of Lusso’s very informative weekly digest posts.

That Féroces version of ‘Wicked Game’ - and admittedly, I’m a big fan of Isaak’s original as a starting point - went on to become one of my most thrashed tunes through the final few months of 2019. It features on Paul, but what was more surprising when I started digging deeper after downloading the EP, was just how good the rest of the material was. Including a very decent cover of My Bloody Valentine’s ‘Sometimes’.

All of the “vocal”/narrative is in French, a language I have absolutely no comprehension of beyond a few swear words, but that hardly matters … it’s seductive and sexy and every bit the earworm to accompany this intoxicating music.

You can pick up a copy of Paul and/or have a listen to the rest of the band’s work here.

And here’s ‘Wicked Game’:




No comments:

Post a Comment