Monday, September 29, 2014

The Nomad and more linky love ...

I attended a pretty special gig at Wellington’s Boat Café on Saturday night. It was the final stop on The Nomad’s national tour – promoting new album ‘7’ – and it proved to be about as state of the art as these things can get, from both a visual and aural perspective.

The night was MC-ed by Melbourne-based Londoner Lotek, but also on hand were fellow collaborators on the album, Christina Roberts, Israel Starr, and the star turn (for me) saxophonist, Andy Qroniq (aka Andy Pearce).

The Boat Café is a relatively new venue on the Wellington live music scene but it strikes me that the lower deck area/room (of the docked tugboat on Oriental Parade) might just about be one of the most sound-friendly spaces on the circuit. Certainly the room coped admirably with the bass-heavy bottom-end treats being conjured up on the night, and I doubt I’ll attend a louder gig all year. As venues go, it was very impressive.

And so it occurs to me that although it’s been on virtual perma-repeat ever since I scored a pre-release copy of it a few months back, I’ve yet to review ‘7’ for the blog. Suffice to say it’s easily one of the best local albums I’ve heard all year – if not the best – and quite possibly the best thing the Nomad has ever done, although that in itself is a big call given his extensive back catalogue and wider legendary status in local production/DJ circles.
I will get around to giving it a more thorough review at some stage soon, but in the meantime I thought I’d link to a feature piece I wrote on the Nomad (aka Daimon Schwalger) for NZ Musician a month or so ago … (click below)

Strength Through Adversity - as it appears in NZ Musician magazine August/September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment