Sunday, December 8, 2013

Random 30 2013: The Kite String Tangle - Tennis Court (Lorde)

2013 was a huge breakthrough year for local artist Lorde, something further underlined (in bold) earlier this week when the teenage songstress received four Grammy nominations. I enjoyed her cover version of the Replacements’ ‘Swingin’ Party’, and thought Pure Heroine was a promising enough debut album … but to be honest, I think I can probably live happily enough without hearing ‘Royals’ ever again.

For me, her best track in terms of pure song-craft was ‘Tennis Court’, and I think this superb cover by Brisbane-based producer Danny Harley – aka The Kite String Tangle – hammers that point home. It’s one thing to offer up a cover when the original has already had its day, but quite something else to do so while it’s still so high profile and fresh. Of course it helps that Harley has a great voice and is a unique talent in his own right, and I look forward to hearing more from The Kite String Tangle.
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment