Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Choice Kiwi Cuts 2021: Repulsive Woman - 'Julia Knows Beauty'

With another year end approaching it seems timely to reconvene a regular everythingsgonegreen blog pre-festive tradition – the all-too-readily missed and/or often completely ignored practice of me sharing with you some of my thoughts and reckons on Aotearoa’s musical year. 

I’ve got to be honest, in my view, 2021 hasn’t been particularly epic for local music. At least not when it comes to album additions to my own collection. Over the past decade, “new” New Zealand-made music has always featured prominently among those additions, and it hasn’t been unusual for a number of homegrown albums to make my annual “most listened to” or best of year-end list. 

Unfortunately, I just can’t see that happening this year. But that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been some good stuff released during 2021 – it just means I didn’t pick up a physical or digital copy of it … Spotify doesn’t count. Over the next couple of months, I’ll be posting a series of clips or streams of those local tracks that did move me sufficiently in 2021 to earn a, um, highly coveted place on the, um, very prestigious everythingsgonegreen Choice Kiwi Cuts list. 

That list seldom features the most obvious stuff so if you’re a fan of Six60, L.A.B., or insert-popular-biggish-name-Kiwi-artist-here, you’re probably going to be disappointed. It goes without saying then, that the list does not profess to be anything close to a definitive summary of everything that happened on these shores during the year. I’ll reserve a place only for those tracks or artists I personally liked or enjoyed. 

Starting with … Repulsive Woman – ‘Julia Knows Beauty’ 

Repulsive Woman is the musical handle for former Astro Child, Millie Lovelock, whose 2019 album Relief won the Taite Music Prize for Best Independent Debut in 2020. Lovelock didn’t offer us too much in the form of new work in 2021, but this track, ‘Julia Knows Beauty’, was a stand-out cut on a Z Tapes ‘Summer 2021’ compilation I picked up. It’s a bit of a slow burner but one that really starts to reveal its charms after a few repeat plays and a little bit of patience. It isn’t going to rock your socks off, but beautifully crafted acoustic ballads rarely tend to do that, and the appeal lies elsewhere.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment